In 95% of cases, Alzheimer’s disease is the result of a combination of genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors that affect the person over time. The other 5% of cases, defined as early or hereditary Alzheimer’s, usually appear before the age of 65, with more aggressive and/or rapid deterioration, mainly due to mutations in the genes
Alzheimer’s disease has many faces. Depending on the region that is affected, the symptoms will vary. Just as the manifestation of the first symptoms of Alzheimer’s in a young person (under 65 years of age) is not the same as in a person in their seventies or eighties.
Even so, there are common elements that can alert us that something is happening, and we can take measures to delay the appearance of the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
The process of human aging is complex and yet not well understood. Our body changes with age and our brain too. There are some cognitive modifications experienced by all persons, mainly slowness of the speed of processing information, less attention span, difficulties in multi-tasking and naming.
CEAFA (Spanish Alzheimer’s Confederation) estimates that around 1,200,000 people could suffer from Alzheimer’s in Spain. The figure is obtained from the prevalence of the disease in all age ranges. As for the Spanish Neurology Society (SEN), it warns of an alarming underdiagnosis in our country, stating that up to 30% of cases could be undiagnosed.
Alzheimer’s Disease is a progressive and irreversible brain disorder that is the most common cause of dementia. It compromises memory and cognitive ability, causing distress and suffering to people, often overwhelming their families and carers.
More than 50 million people worldwide are living with dementia with the number is forecast to rise to 152 million by 2050.